Saturday, October 1, 2011

recent inspirations

Today has had phenomenally comfortable weather. So comfortable in fact, that I was able to take a pre-noon walk with Leona in a sling, without sweat starting to run like a river down my front! It was sunny, it was windy, it was wonderful.

As we got to the tree-shaded walkway that goes along the river - where later in the afternoon a group of Filipina live-in-caregivers take their wheelchair-bound-elderly-folks to and chat - I sat down on a bench to enjoy the sound of the babbling brook, rustling trees, tumbling leaves, and bird chatter. It is the first time I've been able to do this, as normally it is not only too hot, but I'm also worried about being eaten alive. Today the wind kept the air mosquito free. Combined it made a wonderfully delicious out-in-nature elixir.

Looking towards the far end of the walkway I saw an old grandpa in a wheelchair, making his way along the walkway. It is the second time I've seen him - a few days ago I was cabin-fever-desperate enough to venture out around noon, despite the hothotheat beating down on us. I think he's about 90 or so, and I think he's had a stroke based on his slack-jaw, the way he literally inches his way along at about 1.5 meters per minute, and how he has difficulty maneuvering, kind of getting caught up on the trees that are located sporadically in the middle of the walkway.

As he was drawing near, I got up and started walking again, and as we passed him, I asked him if he was out here exercising alone. He lifted his hand in a kind of wave, with his pointer slightly separated from the rest, and I took that as a yes, he was out here on his own. When I shared with him how much he impressed me, he gave me a gummy grin. Then he continued on his way and us on ours:


The simple encounter totally uplifted me. Inspired me. Not towards anything specific, other than perhaps happiness and a feeling that life is good.

I then made sure to pass by the awesome home-made budgie cage that consists of two shallow flower-pots on top and bottom, with a tube of wire covered by mesh in between, and a plant and natural branches inside. I've had me a few own-(dad)-made bird cages before, which have been totally awesome, with the full fronts being able to come off so my budgies and me have been able to have an 'in the same room' feeling as well as easy access to each other. I like this one's MacGyverness though too - when we move back to Taiwan I'ma make us one, fo' sho':


And of course my biggest inspiration as of late - getting me out on walks, getting me back into craftiness, is my little bundle of love:


Who by the end of the walk had fallen cutely asleep:

[Taken in car-window reflection, hence the 'wide-angle'...and yes it is the wind who is doing funny things to my bangs.]


Also delicious.

[Sorry for crappy quality cell-phone-camera pictures.]
.

No comments:

Post a Comment