Sunday, October 16, 2011

the deed is done

Today was the day of glamour...or, could've-been-glamour at least.

I could have really just gone all out, a once in a life-time chance to do something as far from me as I could go, with fancy froofy dress, crazy hair, etc., but instead I went as low key as I could get.

I think (read: know) one of the (many) reasons I don't like to wear make-up or get all dolled up is because I kind of feel like 'what if it doesn't work'...as in what if it doesn't look good. 

And today was a perfect example of it not quite working. Though I guess tomorrow we will know for sure, as we will be selecting the 20 photos in the package his parents bought, so today it is just going on photo-shoot-feeling.

The dress was as mentioned as simple as they can get - strap-less white wedding gown with no pattern, no frills, no gimmicks. Added to it was a (fake) pearl necklace, (fake) pearl (clip-on) earrings (thank goodness we did this today, as I had totally not thought it through - I have a pair of awesomely beautiful pearl earrings I got as a new-momma-gift from Vesta! Will be wearing them for the make-up banquet lunch). And then hair and make-up. 

Here is where the ugh comes in. The make-up was put on about an inch thick - as is standard fare here. The hair-do I had pointed to was a swept back-and-up style, would make me look hip and young (I'm sure :P), but instead she did the top swept back and the sides swept down-and-back...making me look 10 years my senior. By the time I noticed why it wasn't looking right, it was already 11:35, and I thought to myself "Oh well".

First we did several full-family photos (my parent-in-laws, us three, and my sister-in-law-with-husband-and-son). All I can say was for me (and Judge) at least, is it felt in one word: Awkward.

Then various combinations of all of us, then just the Owens (Leona was done for the day a while before that, so I don't think we got any of her really smiling), then just Mr. and Mrs. Owen. Also in one word: Awkward.

Totally not our style and not in our element. Photographer: look at each other, smile, look at the camera, smile, look off into the distance, smile, lean forward, twist this way and that, do this, do that, smile, smile, smile. Do various so-and-so's... Us: Nah, that's ok. 

After about 5 or 10 min he said 'ok' (I think as in this scene is done) and we're "Done?" Photographer [surprised]: You don't want to do some more shots? Us [in chorus]: No, thanks. Not exactly the type of wedding-glamour-shoot they're used to ;P

And that is how we spent Judge's first day as a stay-at-home dad.

That's right! You read correctly!! He is now done-done-done. It's like he was tripsing away on air on our first-ever late-afternoon walk. As happy as a clam at Christmas.


.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment