Friday, October 7, 2011

beta fitness for moms

A long-standing good friend of mine is a professional wellness coach/fitness instructor/personal trainer (? - I actually just realized I don't know what he titles himself as), who has created a wellness/fitness program specifically for moms. He's beta-testing it right now, and I am fortunate enough to be in on it.

After two rounds of questions to gain a better understanding of where we're at and where we want to get to (not just physically, but also emotionally, mentally, and spiritually), the beta program was launched yesterday.

I'm excited. He has an intimately good grasp of what goes on with our bodies and minds as we become moms, and the struggles we face physically, emotionally, mentally. His wife (a soul-sister of mine) and him have three little ones, his sister-in-law and husband also have three little ones (living upstairs from them), his sisters have kids, etc. He's surrounded by amazingly grounded mothers who self-reflect and share journeys.

We're starting out with 10 simple stretches/loosenings/strengths that take 5 min., and should do them 5 days a week. And we will deepen from there. Also, each month will focus on a virtue - this month: Compassion (for ourselves).

I thoroughly enjoyed the videos with his hushed greetings (the household was asleep so he had to keep it down) and how-tos and encouraging words - made it feel very focused as though it was just for 'me'. In fact, as he was talking about our need to remember to have compassion for ourselves, I actually had some tears. There seems to be a lot of untapped emotion in me regarding being a mother.

I also appreciated how little there is to start with. It achieves its purpose - I am sitting here feeling like 'I can do this, every (5 out of 7) day(s) - just five min!'. Motivation has been an issue with me previously (especially since it's been disgustingly hot here, so heading out for walks has only just recently been on my plate again, now that the weather has started to become bearable).

I find it is kind of like the obligatory prayer - if I still said it daily...so perhaps, rather for mre, like seeing the temples all around the neighborhoods/towns/cities/boonies - they ground me spiritually - and with this, it grounds me in a mix of mentally/physically/emotionally - reminding me to stay loose, stretch, breathe - and not just while doing the exercises, but even just thinking about remembering to do them has the same effect ... and of course this month, to be compassionate towards myself.

In terms of the stretches and loosenings, they felt gooood - and the strengths, though I was able to hold it the full minute (deep and slow breathing made it possible, as the short breathing I had started with was bringing me to the need to rest quite quickly), I know that these will be the ones I will struggle with the most. I realized I've never been one to enjoy pushing myself strength-wise. Endurance - ok (thinking back 8 or so years ago to my running days that culminated in the Sun Run, and competing with a friend regularly on the Grousse Grind). Loosenings and stretches - ok. Gaining muscle through activities - ok. Strength training specifically, not so enjoyable for me.

I have been longing to be more active again though, thirsting for it - to dance really, or swim, or even walk (which as mentioned I've finally gotten to start with again - not just because of the weather, but also because of the environment after this recent move is more walk-enjoyable), so I am really looking forward to this process.

----

Last night, as I was editing a case on a deadline - having to finish it before today so ended up working until after 2am - I looked over and saw this:


She is most definitely her father's daughter ;)  She's started sleeping a lot on her side now that she's such a good roller (not quite to a full-fledged back-to-stomach yet, her last arm is stuck under her, but very close, and she works on it often).


.

No comments:

Post a Comment