Thursday, September 30, 2010

mayzle be cattle-prodding us through

Yesterday I had my official first check-up (where the first set of tests are to take place)...technically I have already gone in four times - 1) initial visit to confirm pregnancy, 2) check because of some concerns, 3) because i got a cold and was feeling miserable, 4) because i had had a fever and wanted to confirm everything was still ok....no matter what, each time you go in for a visit you get an ultrasound done - many mothers go in almost weekly so they can see their baby, as all they have to pay is about US$5 for the "visit fee".

Anyhow, in the 'mother manual' provided to all pregnant women at about 8 weeks (where all my check-ups will be recorded, and that has general information for while you're pregnant etc) it described all the tests that would be done on this first visit, so I was expecting a thorough run-down.

First, we waited ages we get in to ultrasound - saw baby full with arms, legs, eyes, mouth, and then flexing, backwards bucking - and then heard the heart-beat. Judge's jaw literally dropped - hahaha. It was awesome.

Then waited again before getting to see the doctor, where all she did was take us through the ultrasound pictuers briefly (everything is normal), check that I am doing ok (are you doing ok? morning sickness is normal - don't need to take any meds for it [I know]), checked if we had any questions, gave us a few leaflets with information regarding possible tests we can request if we wish - all of the above done in what felt like one breath of speed-talking, and then off we went for bloodwork and urine test. No breast exam, pelvic exam, or the other physical exams listed in the manual. Hrm.

I think the doctors here are way over-patiented, and thus it's just push-push-push to get through everyone (I mean, this was already after 9pm, and there were still a schwackload of people waiting). Not quite sure I like it so much~.

Then, in this area at least, for those doctors who do not push-push-push - and who are more 'gentle' and go along with birth-plans etc, their patient list is usually double or triple, and so during their scheduled patient hours they often get pulled out for births - prolonging the wait for those scheduled to see him - as well as that if you don't book 4 or more weeks in advance you'll most likely be around number 100 or more (ie for the evening hours...meaning you'll get in to see the doctor around 11pm perhaps). At least that is what we have seen so far.

Currently not feeling so confident in the doctor and hospital following the kind of birth I want (we may look around a bit to see if somewhere else close by here will be more better), but thankfully I have found a doula, so am actually not stressing about it, because she can help me take care of it all ;P  Yay for doulas!

.

No comments:

Post a Comment