Monday, September 13, 2010

good luck pads

The plan was not to mention anything until week 12 or 13, but this is just too funny to wait. Thus, this is a pre-announcement peek for those of you who actually read this thing XD

If you haven't made the connection yet - we have some big news to share with y'all: We're pregnant~! Yay!!  Tomorrow we're at 9 weeks, and we've seen the baby's heartbeat and we're told everything looks just as it should. Still, first trimester-risks are not out of the way yet, but we're feeling more confident and of course hoping and praying for a safe and healthy pregnancy all the way through.

Now, I have to just take a moment here and say: all you baby-mama's out there - no matter how old your babies are now - I commend you! I know every woman and every pregnancy is different, uff da, being pregnant ain't no walk in the park! For me first trimester is flatten-me-on-your-ass-please-lord-let-me-stay-on-the-couch-all-day-I-have-no-idea-what-I-can-eat terrible. Thank goodness for selective memory and forgetting the worse bits or there's no way I'd want to go through this again XD

Add a cold on top of it, and it equals me quitting my morning kindy job (jumping around, entertaining and trying to keep four batches of younguns' attention for 30 min. each every morning...not getting the rest I sorely need, hence a cold) and having to take this afternoon off to rest up, as well as visit the doctor and get some ok-for-bebe meds so I can go to work tomorrow.

This whole being pregnant in Taiwan brings up a schwackload of interesting issues and happenings that I get to share with you little by little - quite exciting! And I'll want to learn a bit more about how it's different on your side of the world (if you're not in Taiwan).

A current short list:
- Doctor's visits
- Sit-a-month traditions and rules
- Sit-a-month clinics
- All the other cultural tidbits that come with pregnancy and child rearing

Which brings me to todays entertainment. I had posted a question on ptt (the dos-based discussion boards), and someone wrote and congratulated me on being in the first trimester, and shared with me that she's 33 years old and they've been trying to get pregnant for about 6 months now (including taken fertility shots, eaten pills etc). She was writing me because there is an old wive's tale that says a pregnant woman in her first trimester's unused pads from an opened pack are considered good luck for those who are trying to get pregnant - called good pregnancy pads, where 'good pregnancy' has the same sound as 'good luck'...so 'good luck pads', and she asked if I would be willing to send her some good luck pads, because she's totally stressing out.

I told her that I'm sure she also knows that getting pregnant can sometimes take 6 months to a year, plus stress is a negative factor, etc, but if getting this can make her relax a bit and feel more confident, then I'm all about it.

So I wrapped up two pads, and off they went to the south of Taiwan.

Ahh, it makes me giggle just thinking about it.

.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man, I LOVE this news! And I feel your pain, sister. I feel ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy for the two of you, or should I say three of you (or should I say 7 of you including Celina and fam)?
    The adventure of your life I tell ya. Can wait for photo documentation of your transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the best news I've heard in a good long while J!!

    Hang in there, the first trimester is a shock to the system, but you'll get through it. Will be thinking of you here and sending smooth pregger mojo your way :-)

    - Kira

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ladies :D This is most definitely going to be an interesting adventure!

    ReplyDelete