Regional Controller - was probably technically just a senior accountant or something similar (though I would have to look into what a controller really does to be certain).
Office Coordinator - was more a project consultant where I took care of a few projects to completion one day a week.
Financial Manager - is (currently) basically an 'english secretary to the finance team', where I am:
- translating press releases from Chinese to English
- working on powerpoint presentations that will be presented to the Board of Directors
- working on scripts to accompany the ppts
- drafting and/or editing emails when the need arises - i.e. when it is to be sent to the Board or Europe
- and translating something from English to Chinese (by far the most difficult thing for me...kind of impossible really, but this is what they face when they need to translate to English so I am just sucking it up and slowly blunderig through)
I realized it's kind of like I used to race go-carts, perhaps won a few races etc, and put 'No. 1 Racer' on my resume and sent it to Formula One...and got in. These people are so skilled and really know their stuff...and I am completely lost. And it is not just because the discussions are in Chinese, it's because this is advanced finance going on - and I am a management accountant.
But, at the same time it is pretty exciting. I took some corporate finance classes during my MBA, and of course management classes etc, and this is the real world - real mergers, real aquisitions, real people, real considerations, real strategizing. Not only oh-so different than school, but also oh-so different than my previous work experience at Cactus Club in Vancouver. This is a multinational R&D and manufacturing company, while Cactus was a local restaurant chain...service.
My goal: To absorb as much as I can, learn as much as I can, and figure out if I'd like to go further into finance or run back to management accounting (and perhaps some HR).
[my view of what is going on in the department
- fuzzy and unclear - yet oh so wonderful :P]
.

No comments:
Post a Comment