Saturday, September 22, 2012

ridding oneself of dead weight

Sometimes one holds on to things even when they are just continuing to cost you and not providing you with anything anymore, basically just because of the time and effort (and sometimes money) one has already put in.

The thing is, those are all sunk costs and shouldn't actually be taken into consideration when evaluating the value going forward.

Despite knowing this, acting on it is a fully different beast.

For me, this current 'thing' is my Certified Management Accouting designation.
The cost to get it is a moot point, as my then-employer paid for it. The time and effort it took to get it is also a moot point, as though I put it in, and it was effort, it wasn't anything overwhelming (I've always had this type of relationship with school...and work I guess). Once I got it it was more that it was got than a huge sense of excitement and achievement. I'm not sure if me moving to Taiwan the day after the big, final Board Presentation had something to do with it, meaning I was not getting a new and better job because of finally achieving this, but rather just putting it aside to go explore another part of life.

In fact, the designation itself has not really done much for me in and of itself in terms of gaining a higher salary, higher recognition, be a value-enhancing stamp for me towards my employers or others, or anything of the sort, as I have only worked in Taiwan and Norway since then, and neither of these countries know anything about the CMA designation.

It did, however, serve a huge purpose in that it allowed me to get a working permit in Taiwan before I got my masters, as well as allowed me to actually enter the master's program there, as both government and university alike accepted it as an 'equivalent or better' than a bachelors. Something that was oh-so necessary as my next-level-down education is only a two-year diploma.

The thing with this designation, however, is that it costs money every year to maintain your membership. Sure I get half-price since I'm not living in Canada, but that is still big moneys in the long run (especially when the moneys are earned in Taiwan, but also just in general) for something that served its purpose already and that I don't forsee bringing me any more value in the future.

But to give it up, to not be a CMA anymore, when it isn't necessarily an quick and easy thing to get, seems wasteful, like closing the door on potential future opportunity.

Our plans are to stay in Norway and Taiwan though, never head back to Canada and get a job or start a business, and so it truly shows a lack of smarts, I guess, to keep on paying for it year in and year out.

So I think I have made a decision.

Next year, when it comes time to pay the membership dues again, I will write in and say I reneg my membership. And it truly, truly, doesn't have to change anything, not even my resume, as nothing has changed, per se. I still did get my designation back in 2005. It is still the semi-equivalent of a master's degree. The only difference is I can no longer add 'CMA' at the back of my name...something I never, ever have done anyway. And of course the other difference is that it will not continue to be a black-hole I shove money into each and every year.

Not the sigh of relief I thought I should feel after making the decision, but still fairly confident it is the right one.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment