Tuesday, September 17, 2013

unfunny jokings

Seems a common joke here is for adults to be holding Eliana and say to Leona: I'm going to take her home/away with me, ok? Or, if we're at their house and heading home: You go home and Eliana will stay here with me, ok?

She is very good at saying 'No' to this, very seriously, and then they often will repeat it, thinking they are so funny.

Today she showed us twice that this is starting to have a deep impact on her. The first was when Judge's mom was holding her. I don't think his mom said anything like this (we live with her so there is no reason for her to say such things), but Leona came over to me and said, while shaking her head: A-po ho'ju (A-po is grandma in Hakka and ho'ju is 'hold you'...she still uses 'hold/help you' and 'hold/help me' as terms in and of themselves). I thought his mom had said she wanted to hold Leona and Leona didn't want to, so I said she could tell her she didn't want to be held. Then she clarified (while shaking her head): A-po ho'ju Ana (=I don't want A-po to hold Eliana), and then continued with: Mama ho'ju Ana, while pointing at me for emphasis.

I was surprised, as this was the first time she's ever dictated who should hold Eliana, but I didn't link it to the 'joking' people do until this evening, when her grand-uncle was holding Eliana, and walked out into the alley with her. Leona followed to the door and kept looking out, and someone joked that he was taking her away. She loudly and angrily said: Ana 'side (inside), and pointed down to the floor. Then she looked at me and repeated it. When we translated this, everyone busted out laughing, thinking it was so cute.

I have to admit I smiled too (hopefully not so she saw it), as I thought it was phenomenal she felt comfortable enough to take action. It was cute. But only because she is cute. Her seriousness and agitation was, well, serious business though, not a laughable matter.

Anyhow, Judge and I talked about this after - he also strongly dislikes these kinds of 'jokes'. Young children don't understand jokes like this. For them they believe what is said. For them it is no laughing matter. So we decided when people say these things we will tell her there and then in English that they will not do it, that Eliana will always come/stay home with us, and also thank her when she shows her protective nature, as that is also important.

Is this a common joke world 'round?


.

2 comments:

  1. I'm afraid it sounds familiar to me too, in similar or identical forms. (Your parents have sold you to me...)
    I guess this is the recipe for insecurity which also is a common problem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.O That sounds even more terrible - but I guess when Eliana is bigger and if they keep saying these kinds of things, then to her ears it will be the same. I seriously don't understand people sometimes.

    ReplyDelete