Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Chopsticks

Leona's been into trying to use chopsticks for a long time now - they are a regular staple at our dinner table. We have never tried to teach her how to hold them (just like we haven't taught her how to hold a spoon, fork, pencil/marker etc.) but her observation skills are astute (as most kids' are I believe) and so she tends to use the latter three quite accurately.
 
Chopsticks are harder than the rest though, and takes a lot of practice even for someone with all their dexterity trained up. We have a practice set that has loops for your fingers so that they are in the right position (kind of like training wheels for a bike), but I tried them myself and I feel it is not only a bit awkward but you don't end up using your muscles for correct chopstick usage (also kind of like training wheels for a bike), so we haven't brought them to the table for her to use them.
 
Anyhow, she's slowly but surely building up her skills:
 
  
If you select the 'captions' option, I've transcribed our dialogue...I am speaking Norwegian but have just put the English translation (my stuff's in brackets). It also gives you a glimps of where she's at with her sign language - uses it to supplement but a lot of the time she doesn't include the signs anymore - as well as her language mixing.
 
 
 
.

No comments:

Post a Comment