So officially I will not be looking for a name until after we find out if we are having a boy or a girl (if baby is cooperative), because name-searching is a difficult task for me.
For example, for a boy-name, our two previously selected possibles are now non-contenders. Not just because our friends chose both for their son (unbeknownst to them that those were our two future possibles), but because the one is too difficult for Judge to pronounce - if it is said in English the 'th' is tricky, and if it is said in Norwegian the 'r' is tricky (the name being Theodor).
Another example of the difficulties I face. I had come across a girl's name I thought 'nice! A definite possible.' Said it later to Judge, and got a firm 'absolutely not'. Reason being in Taiwan it will sound very much like the Taiwanese for 'your mother', which sounds nice enough, but is used in part - and in short-form - for some serious cussing. Another reason not to pick it (in my eyes) is I found out later that it is one of the top 10 most popular names right now. What is this mystery name you ask? Linnea. Pretty no?
However, I have actually landed on a strong contender if she's a girl. Landed on it by fluke, and though not 100% sold yet, just like I wasn't 100% sold on the name Leona to begin with, I believe I would be sold on it in time.
What's so awesome about this name is not only is it nice sounding (same kind of nice sounding as Leona in my personal opinion), but its meanings are pretty impressively perfect.
In one of the languages it comes from, its meaning is 'God has responded' - and considering this is a tried-for baby, not to mention our little 11th hour wonder! - it seems pretty fitting.
In another language its meaning is 'sunshine' or 'light', and considering where we are and the time of year baby will be born - a time when the sun don't go down - it is once again oh-so fitting.
If he's a boy, well let the search begin!
For the Chinese name, we already have it:
Confused? The above can be read downard, where be she a girl it is 雨安 or be he a boy it is 宇安. This of course dependent upon it being calculated as acceptable by Judge's dad.
What's really cool is that the first character is pronounced the same for both (yu3), where if she's a girl, it is the same character as Leona's first character (rain - used only in girl-names) and if he's a boy it is masculine (universe).
The second character is pronounced 'an1' and means peace. But here's the clincher: when the kids are being rambuncious and rowdy (and we know this is for certain something that will occur often) Judge can just call out the names together, excluding the first character (so 'an1' and Leona's second character - 靜 jing4), as this just so happens to mean 'Quiet'. Pretty convenient if you ask me!
But really, we like that there is a relatedness between the names of the kids. So finger's crossed that the calculations turn out good.
.

My suggestion is: Violet Song Jat Shariff.
ReplyDeleteI mean, if you're going to say no, then why not suggest the ultimate name.
Of course if you see the movie, Ultraviolet, you'll see this is a cool name.
:)
Of course, that needs to be `Violet Song Jat Shariff Owen`. Since we own owen.no, we can give her violet.song.jat.shariff@owen.no, or the more impressive `vi@owen.no`. Shoot. Now I want that one for my own kids.
ReplyDeleteI saw this at a bus stop:
ReplyDeletehttps://dl.dropbox.com/u/490142/johanna.JPG
Funny, I think.
Touché!
ReplyDelete