Wednesday, December 19, 2012

first midwife appointment

Yesterday we headed out into the pitch black late-morning for our first midwife appointment.

The standard checks were made, and then some chit-chat - appointments are scheduled to last a whole half hour.

The questions I had lined up for her were 1) What are the birthing facilities like at the hospital? 2) Anything I can do for my ligament-pain (already researched answers but just curious what she would say) and 3) I am still nursing Leona. I know my milk supply and content is changing - is there anything specifically I should keep in mind (also already researched but again curious).

I was pleasantly surprised about her answer to Q1, as three out of the four LDRs have birthing tubs - so the plan is still on for a look-see when we head up for the ultrasound in two weeks.

And for Q3 I was a bit disappointed. Her response was she encouraged me to consider weaning due to the dangers nursing during pregnancy holds, and that the milk's nutrients for Leona are changing away and readying itself for the new baby.

Overall I felt OK comfortable with her, but since we (I) am still keeping the thought of perhaps having a home-birth in the back of my head, I am thinking of perhaps asking to be switched to one of the midwives on the home-birth team, just so I can become familiar with them and discuss all options fully (that is if they also do hospital deliveries).

Next check-up (excluding the ultrasound) isn't until mid-Feb, so we will just have that one done in Taiwan - that's two months away. Still kind of strange for me that by then I will be 24 weeks along, and yet it will just be my third check-up.

The best bit about the whole visit was finally getting to hear itty-bitty's heart-beat! What a glorious sound that was.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment