Sunday, December 23, 2012

not always the quickest of the lot

Sometimes I'm a bit slow in the thinking. When we were at our first midwife appointment last Tuesday, an interesting and new experience was the search for the heart beat, as this was the first time I wasn't having an ultrasound at the same time (TW) where they get in position first so the heartbeat is already there when the doppler part of it is turned on.

Twas interesting here, because first of all, she searched from the top of the uterus, not the front - not that I had given it much thought, but I guess all times I have seen it done on TV it has always been from the front.

Then, as it was taking a while, an almost not quite panic started to rise in me. She finally found a beat that was quite slow, and I thought to myself 'that's mine' and was surprised and relieved when she said it was the heart beat (blood flow) through the umbilical cord, which meant there was life. Then a bit after she caught baby's actual heartbeat - ranging between 130-150.

Wasn't until tonight I started thinking about it. If my blood doesn't interact with baby's then it is baby's blood in the cord and should follow the baby's heartbeat, so the cord having the same rhythm as mine doesn't add up. Googled a bit and came across this lovely write-up, confirming my suspicion.

I'm 99% sure I don't remember it wrong, that it wasn't actually more swoosh swoosh and not necessarily as slow as my own.

Gives me just a bit more inspiration to switch to the home-birth team or another midwife in general. Am hoping for some insider tips on who's not one really good in her field but also just makes you feel good being around her (you know the kind of person I mean), and hoping even more that one or all of the three on the home-birth team are on that list ;)

Oh, and forgot to mention the mystery of why my doctor set my due-date as May 31 when 40 weeks from the first day of my last menstrual cycle is the 29th: in Norway they use 40W+2D as the date, not just 40W. Whoda thunk?



.

No comments:

Post a Comment