Sunday, November 4, 2012

first pregnancy check-up

So on Friday I went to my first official pregnancy check-up in Norway.

I had previously asked on a Norwegian soon-to-be-mom forum how long they usually last, and what people who have a kid already do - do they go alone or does the dad and kid come with?, and everyone answered that they always went alone to all check-ups even for their first kid.

For me and Judge, we feel that it is 'us' who are pregnant, not just me, and so in Taiwan he came to each and every check-up (and there are lots of them there, not just the 8 that are standard in Norway).

But after discussing it a little - considering the appointment is said to last about 20 min, and it is with my general family doctor, not the midwives, who won't even be at the birth, we decided that he and Leona would just stay home for the doctor visits, and they would come to the midwife-visits instead.

And I have to say I am glad they didn't come with me, because it was very anti-climatic.

Got there, got my height and weight checked (I was going to go for no weigh-ins this time around, but decided to just go with the flow as I don't really feel strongly one way or another), the nurse brought out three tubes I at first thought were to fill with my blood - and my eyes I think got a little round though I tried to appear nonchalant: 
But they ended up being for my urin samples that I'm supposed to bring with me (so TW-NOR difference: Taiwan the sample is provided on site and just tested with a little litmus-strip, while Norway it is brought from home and tested ... I don't know how it is tested, good question to ask next time).

She did then procede to take two blood samples, just significantly smaller tubes.

Then it was in to the doctor, where she asked me some general back-ground questions and previous-pregnancy questions, and gave me some info on the coming check-ups, and asked whether I had any questions (...my only one was what the guidelines were for taking the urin sample...).

That was that.

Next check-up is in 6 weeks with the mid-wifes, and after this experience I mentioned to Judge I thought that they needn't come to the first mid-wife check-up either as I want to first scope them out.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment