Friday, October 29, 2010

sisterly love

Found out a pretty funny tidbit o information a few days ago.

Me and my sister (Katrina) were discussing 'learning at your own pace/interest', and my learning to read came up as an example. We both frequent a blog related to this (encouraging infant and todler independent investigation and learning, amongst many other things), and she mentioned she had actually posted a reply to a post on babies/todlers and learning to read.

See, Katrina taught herself (or rather, with the help of our biggest sister, Pippin) to read when she was three. Because she wanted to. And ever since then she's read. A lot. And fast. I, on the other hand, never really learned how to read until I was about 8-and-a-bit (the one of many areas in development that I was a 'lagger').

Up until then I would only do the slow, painful, sound-it-out-stutter read. Then suddenly within a few weeks (or months) I became a fluent -and avid- reader. Never have gotten up to the speed of Katrina, but that's because we approach reading differently.

Anyhow, I never knew this until recently, but, stealing a quote from her:

"(...) I was very, very worried about her. I was worried that she would never be able to enjoy fiction and non-fiction, and that she would struggle in school, and that she’d be dumb. (...)"

It made me smile. Out loud. First because it shows how much she loves reading (a true understatement), and second, well - that she thought I'd be dumb. I love it!

~ and it makes me feel loved (especially how she finished the comment off - made me feel like a rock star).

.

No comments:

Post a Comment