She is so knowledgable and supportive of my choices, because she knows they are well thought through, and she sees the development of the kids are right on track.*
Today I mentioned to her that Cedrik has recently finally started to be able to hang out with other people beyond the max 5 min. or so we've had so far; that the other day he hung out with Judge for 1.5 hours (!) while I was napping and relaxing (in another room so out of sight...while out of sight has not had a big effect earlier). It's not consistently such long periods yet...often it is still 5 min or less sometimes when he's fussy (of course)...which is not seldom, but still. She smiled and told me "You're a prototype for how it is meant to be done - letting the babies decide what they are comfortable and feel safe with, as it's natural that they want to be close to their food and comfort when they're at their youngest."
I love her for that. For her support rather than judging and saying they can take it (which I know they can) or that it's healthy for them to learn to be away from me etc.
* An example story outside of our regular check-ups is when me and C went to his 4 month group check-up, where a new health centre health-sister-in-training joined us. This new health sister took C's measurements and did a check on his back and neck muschle strength (gently pulled him upwards by his hands/arms towards sitting position from laying position and lay him down again). When we were in the group discussing and sharing, they asked us moms how the kids were on their stomach, and I mentioned that we don't do tummy time, and explained why (he gets enough neck and back muscle training through us holding him and carrying him around, and that he will have tummy time when he is ready to do it on his own). The new health sister looked a bit shocked, and asked if I didn't even give him a few minutes on his tummy at the end of diaper changes?! (this was a timing for tummy time that was suggested by the home-visiting health sister that came and visited us right after C was born, so it is standard procedure to suggest parents do), and I said, no, only time he is on his tummy is when I put him there so I can massage him. Our regular health sister smiled mischievously and said "You didn't notice anything when you did the neck and back muscle check did you. I consciously didn't mention to you beforehand that Johanna doesn't do tummy time, so that you wouldn't be biased when doing the check. Johanna is not saying she doesn't give his muscles training - she carries him and holds him a lot and he gets enough natural stimulation that way. She is very thought out and conscious of her decisions and is a perfect example that it is not necessary to follow the 'standard' way of doing things."
Again. I love her!
.


No comments:
Post a Comment