Friday, February 12, 2016

freestyle engineering

For a while when we just moved back to Norway I was making a lot of different things with the girls - or with Leona for the most part as Eliana was still mostly into exploring the materials (read: making a mess).

For example TP roll and egg carton stuff (helicopters, penguins, giraffes, unicorns, etc.), foot and hand print stuff, and such. Mostly these were my projects I realized...I had my end product in mind and would control the process to get my desired result. Sometimes I would make my own and let them do their own, with the materials prepped and cut, ready for them to work with as they saw fit ... but still with a semi-end product idea in my mind. If they did things 'wrong' I would be OK with it, as long as they were working on theirs, and not on my project.

But for the last long while I've stopped doing that - unless the projects have been more fully mine and they have just helped me a bit (like for Halloween). I have let go of the reins so to speak. They have sometimes asked to make footprint butterflies - and I have let them own the entire process, providing minimal help. Usually it is not the end product they are really interested in anyways - they select the colors, paint the bottoms of their feet, make a footprint (sometimes I help them put their foot down on the paper and remove their foot again, to try and help them get a 'clean' print, when they ask me, but often they will try to do it themselves), and they will wash their feet....and then they will forget about the project as the footprints dry, and they never come to completion. Which is perfect as it is the process they enjoy here.

The other day, though, Leona was holding an empty toilet paper roll and said she wanted to make a car, or plane, or helicopter. I said cool! But I couldn't help get her set up right then because I was going to make lunch or Cedrik had take a nap or he was fussy or or or. Later (next day?) her and Eliana wanted to paint, so they sat down at the kitchen table and painted for a while while I was busy doing ... something. Even later, perhaps the next day, she brought a toilet paper roll that she had painted purple and said she wanted to make a plane. I asked her what she needed to do to make it into a plane? She described lots of different things, and I said it all sounded like great ideas. So she went and got some scissors, and tape, and made this:

For me, this is exciting. Because it all came from her. We have never made a toilet paper roll plane before. And this isn't the only thing. She's been making boats and planes by taping and stapling together papers, none of the end results really looking like anything other than lots of pieces of paper taped together into a 'messy soft tube', but her idea, her vision, is still exciting for me. And then the other day she made this sailboat downstairs at my mom's place:

With sails and all!
You can see how she taped them down and folded them over to try and get them to be able to stand up.

I sometimes worry that I am not providing them with enough challenging and interestingly stimulating tasks and activities...not helping them delve deep into interests...not providing them with enough educational situations. Cedrik still needs me almost all the time, though this is changing, as mentioned earlier.

So I am happy that Leona gets to go to kindergarten those three days a week so that she gets to experience different things, different songs, activities, play'n'games, and interactions.

And then I see her create these little projects for herself, and see her and Eliana's elaborate play, and I think that perhaps they are OK, that I am in fact not thwarting their growth and development by keeping them home with me. That the focused time that Judge, my mom, and I spend with them (reading, baking, cooking, sewing, talking, and otherwise interacting and helping them) and their free play are all a perfect concoction for them.

I still do want to delve deeper into projects with them - bring in educational stuff related to their current interests - than I have, and I think as Cedrik gains more independence it will be possible.

I am also looking forward to starting gardening projects this spring!




.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment