Eliana is an early riser too. 5:30am, very consistently. I try to take her out of the room so Leona doesn’t wake up. Previously, if Leona woke up and saw I wasn’t there (when we had a family bed) or now that Eliana isn’t there (they share a room) she would come downstairs, even if she actually was still really tired. Or sometimes she would wake up and want to have her morning nurse, and see it was light outside and want to get up, and I’d have to try and explain that just because it is light outside doesn’t mean it is day-time yet and so she needs to go back to sleep (it was still only 4am or so), and she would have a little bit of a melt down.
I remember a friend of mine (Celinamin!) had mentioned a clock a couple years ago that changed colors letting the kids know when it was ok to get up. Ingenious. So I searched a bit, and found a wide range of these kinds of clocks, with this one being the decided winner. It was ordered 10 min later (luckily I found this supplier, as all others sold it for over NOK200, meaning I’d have to pay sales tax and import tax when I got it in the mail…all the sleep-clocks that are sold in Norway are not only more expensive but not as good, by a long shot even).
[source]
And the last two mornings she’s actually slept through the sun coming out, waking up around 7am. Seriously amazing!
I think this clock has totally empowered her. I mean, I know exactly how she felt before, I think. If I wake up and don’t know what time it is, it is often super hard for me to go back to sleep. That’s because here we can’t go by the light outside. During the winter it is still pitch dark in the morning when we need to get up, while in the summer it is different degrees of light all night. So this clock is like having a good routine. Once you have a routine and a known environment, the kids feel free and safe to explore, but if things are always uncertain, they hold on tight to your skirt hems (figuratively speaking in my case of course).
Now, Leona mentions “when we’re done eating two girls will take a bath, then one girl will go upstairs and mama will help her sleep, then the lady will come downstairs and ‘talk about’ with the big girl, and then we have to brush our teeth and go upstairs and say good night to my clock and nurse and sleep” (with various versions of ‘girls’, ‘lady’, ‘me’, ‘you’, ‘mama’, Eliana, etc.), including it fully in her pre-sleep routine, and will check the clock when she wakes up at night to see how many stars are left.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment