Today was the big day. Judge and Leona met me and my mom at work (we work 1 min. walk from each other) and then we walked the 5 minutes to the hospital together for the ultrasound. And man, how different it was compared to our Taiwan-experiences!
First of all, the hospital-wards were basically empty - even at the ultrasound place. And when I say 'basically' I mean we passed one nurse on our way from ward A to ward C on the level we were on, and there was one nurse in the window at the ultrasound place. (Taiwan: Throngs and throngs of people everywhere).
Then we got called in pretty much on time on the dot (Taiwan: Have to wait quite a while - due to the throngs and throngs of preggees seeing the doctors).
There were two ultrasound technicians - one learning the ropes and one old-timer. They shook our hands in greeting, and poor Leona busted out crying hard-core when the nurse reached for her hand as she suddenly thought we were there for her to get a shot. The technician was great though, just acknowledging that Leona was scared and not trying to make her laugh or stop crying - seemed totally ok to let her work through the emotions.
Anyhow, so the old-timer explained exactly what they were going to look at and for, in detail, and then we were off. Was so happy my mom was able to come, as she wasn't able to experience my last pregnancy, and because she had never seen a live ultrasound before (they didn't do them when she was pregnant with me and my sister).
The old-timer was super thorough in her looking and measurements and explaining, sometimes more to the learnee than to us (so though I didn't understand it all, it was still quite interesting for me). While the old-timer was just getting warmed up, the learnee asked us if we would like to know the gender - if the baby was cooperative, and I said yes, definitely! And could almost feel the old-timer mentally shake her head exasperatedly.
Basically the old-timer totally didn't try to see the gender. I mean, she quickly scanned past the area, but didn't linger to try to get a better shot like she did for all other checks. Not that I am complaining - the ultrasound is to check the health and well-being of the baby, not for 'fun and games'. But still. She mentioned though that just because we didn't see a penis didn't necessarily mean it was a girl (and I said yes, we didn't see three lines either...and she seemed surprised that I would know, and said that's right, we didn't).
Then it was the learnee's turn, and mentioned she probably didn't have too much new stuff she could show us (as old-timer had done such a meticulous job), but pointed out the baby's ears when she took the head-measurement, then while the old-timer was over by the computer being busy, the trainee searched for a clear shot of the gender (and I felt like the old-timer was kind of fake-ignoring what was going on, though of course I could be totally off on this). Suddenly two clear parallel lines appeared, with a much shorter parallel line between them, and I smiled, and the trainee very happily and contentedly reported it looked like it's pretty definitely a girl! "Seems I was able to show you something more anyways." I could feel she understood it was important to us...not that we must know (and not that we wouldn't find out in another month when we go for our check-up while in Taiwan), but still, very grateful to ms trainee.
And thus I joyfully introduce to you Leona's little sister:
And thus we are now testing out her name 'for reals' to see if it feels right. But truthfully, unleass I stumble upon another one that is just fit-at-first-sound then this is it :P
.

No comments:
Post a Comment