Tuesday, January 1, 2013

new year's eve

I have to say I rather enjoy new year's eve here in Tromsø. Not because we go to great parties with lots of good friends, or because the government puts on amazing fireworks shows (we stay home, and the government do a thing), but Norwegians love them their fireworks, so they are willing to really spend some big kroners. This, coupled with Tromsø's skyline, where we have been so lucky to live places both new year's eves where we have awesome and far-reaching views, provides us with really stellar fire-works displays.

So last year we all (me, Judge, Katrina, Sander and my mom) just stayed up and then Judge and I went out on the veranda for a super treat (we totally weren't expecting a good show). Poor Leona didn't have a grand time though, as the baby-call wasn't turned on or the battery was dead, and so she woke up and started crying, but we didn't hear her for a loooong time (I think...I mean 5-10 min is super long for her). Not so fun.

This year I went to bed around 10:30 pm (which is super late for me seeing as I've been going to bed around 7 for the past couple months almost) and then was woken up by the boom-boom-b'boooomboomboom'ing at 11:55pm, as they were literally exploding almost right by my window, as well as all around the near and far neighborhoods. So I got up and Judge and I watched them for about 20 min until they started to die down. Seriously - I think we get a better show than Taipei 101, it's that good. Big part of what makes it good is that we get to see so many going off all around near and far - basically as far as the eye can reach - and the eye reaches pretty far here. It really gives us the feel of being festive without having to be out and about :P

And the most amazing thing is that Leona actually slept through it all (!) - or if she woke up, she just went back to sleeping without a sound. Perhaps partially because the fireworks had been going off on and off since about 2pm (as it's alerady pitch-dark by then), and so she had heard them and seen them and so though it was more to the 1000th degree, it wasn't some scary new sound.

And with that we quietly rang in the new year.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment