Saturday, June 25, 2011

the two month mark

So, time flies when you're exhausted having fun!

Little miss Leona's two months old today, so I thought I'd give a quick rundown of all that's changed.
  • At our 2 month vaccine-visit she weighed in at 5kg and measured 58cm long. That's a weight gain of 1.6kg and growth of 7cm [not that it is necessarily 100% accurate, as I feel the ladies helping out at the Health Center are a bit casual in their measurings].
  • In the morning she can lay on the floor for up to half an hour on her own just investigating how her limbs move and her environment.
  • After eating she will sometimes lay there and coo and ah and gurgle and smile at me for several minutes.
  • She fusses almost all day it seems, due to burps and spit-ups needing to come out...and perhaps due to overtiredness, over-stimulation, and for other reasons I'm still unaware of. 
  • Usually if she falls asleep and we lay her down she will wake again within a few minutes, unless it is her night-sleeps (once she gets to them), or we hold her arms down so she can't flail them (she doesn't like being swaddled though).
  • She tends to super-fuss between 9pm and 2am, and then sleep for 4 to 6 hours straight.
  • Our day tends to begin around noon.
  • It's been weeks since I last saw my purple baby (she used to scream so hard that her entire body would turn dark purple).
  • She has double-jointed thumbs like her dad (but the rest of her hands look like mine - just a smaller, chubbier version of course).
  • Her hands and feet are often cold (she has my bad circulation).
  • She has been working diligently on finding her self-soothing capabilities for a while now (trying to get a thumb or finger in position to suck on...not an easy task I tell you)
  • We are on our third attempt at cloth diapers. So far I have not found them to be a success for us, but haven't given up hope yet.
  • She's a feeding champ, and has caused me no pain nor suffering. 
  • We still have a majorly leaky and spray'y eater - super cute but not conducive to public eating, so life is not as convenient as it could be when we're out and about ;)
And there she blows.

The day before her two-monther we took a trip way, way up into the mountains (like we had to register in case we didn't come down kind of way-up). While my mom was visiting we had driven part-way in, to enjoy the lush greenness. On this trip we went so high up that there was a Vancouver Island feel to the greenery. And the air was deliciously cool (not need-a-jacket cool, but not sweating-because-I'm-breathing hot any more either).

Once we got up to the top, to a place so applicably called "View Fog", after a quick outdoors diaper change, we checked the national-park trail-map and picked a short 1.5 walk to a waterfall (as it was already 4:30pm). We started walking down the road to the trail-mouth...and after 1 min turned around and decided to drive as we didn't know how far it was.

Turns out that was a smart decision, as the trail-mouth was about 3 km away~. Before heading out we saw a sign that said this part of the park was open until 5pm, and that we should leave as quick as possible at that time. By then it was 4:45pm. We snubbed our noses at the sign and off we went.

It was so comfy being able to walk in the forest, hear the birds and angry squirrels, smell the freshness, feel the coolness, not hear any city-esque sounds, just the three of us and nature.




I thought we could do 3km round-trip in half an 45 min or so, but hadn't really thought it through as this was rugged nature ... well, nicely cleared forest path. Because we didn't want to be caught out there in the dark, we first decided we'd start heading back by 5:10pm. But by 5:10pm we could hear the waterfall and felt it would be unfortunate to have come so far and not actually see it! So on we went. I started to get a bit nervous about the return trip towards the end, as it was steeeeeeeeep steps down-down-down. But by then there's no way we would turn around before hitting our destination.

Once again I have learned that my expectations usually are way out of proportion when compared with what it actually looks like - nature-wise:

[The piddly, far away (though high) waterfall]

I think I am forever scarred from growing up in places like Norway, Hawaii, Vancouver Island and Vancouver area (and Alaska though I don't remember much of it). These places have some really amazing natures. Not that Taiwan isn't beautiful, but the tourist places tend not to do it for me. Except for the mountains. The mountains are different than any other place I've lived. They rock!

Anyhow, thankfully my energy post-birth  has pretty much returned I think, but seeing as I wasn't in great shape before giving birth, I was still huffing and puffing all the way back (it was 90% up-hill).

Right along the last 100m it started drizzling a very tiny bit (typhoon was almost upon us), and it was getting very dusky. The drive down and back was completed in *pouring* rain.

Overall I was super content with the trip - despite the piddly waterfall. Being out in nature:


Being with these two:

Life is good!



.

2 comments:

  1. Hurray for getting out into nature!! Better than I've done. Every time I've ventured out, it's gotten so hot hot hot so I go back home to the AC. Do you have any better luck when you use the pocket diapers? Do you use snap or velcro? I think the velcro ones are easier to use for a smaller baby. And you know, at 4 months, my son STILL fusses a lot in the evening though I think part of that is the teething.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, venturing out in the low-lands is just heatstrokable these days ><

    So far the velcro pocket ones are working ok during the day (day before yesterday and the evenings yesterday and today)...but once late-evening comes I jump back to disposable because I'm not sure if some of her screaming is due to uncomfortableness. "Try to eliminate all possible causes" is my motto - tonight especially.

    ReplyDelete