Saturday, April 23, 2011

feeling like things are imminent...esque at least

Today we went in for our first over-40 check-in (we're at 40 weeks and 4 days). We drove up and after peeing on a stick (not so easy any more, but it IS easier than peeing in a cup!), weighing in (at a whopping 2.7kg more than last week~ noticed some extra water-logging the past few days so I'm going with that), and checking blood pressure, it was time for the ultrasound (where she measured actually a tiny bit less than last week - ultrasounds are oh-so accurate :P).

Yesterday I noticed she had switched sides - her kicks and punches were on my left now, and the ultrasound confirmed this. Boo - but not as boo as if she had switched to breach! I'm assuming it's because I haven't been walking so much this past week, but rather just laying around nursing a cold as well as frontal pelvic pain, and a lot of the laying during the night is on my right side because sometimes I just really need to switch it up.

Anyhow, after the ultrasound, as we are over 40 weeks, I had to do 15 min of bebe-heart-rate monitoring where I was required to lay on my back with my legs flat. What the heck! I got a pillow and blanket behind me, and once the nurse left Judge jacked the head of the bed up a bit, so at least it was a tad more comfortable. All was fine and I measured as having contractions at 6-7 min apart - that I could actually feel~ Exciting! (I had been feeling them yesterday as well).

Leaving, the front desk nurse didn't book us for next weeks appointment so I had to ask her to - and she was surprised ("Didn't the doctor tell you when you need to go in?"). It still isn't common here for people to go past 40 weeks and definitely not past 41 weeks without scheduling an induction and/or c-section, and next week we'll be 41W+4. Thankfully we're with the birthing center doctors and thus as long as heart-rate is good, amniotic fluids are good, size is good (which is debatable in my eyes but luckily we won't have to have that debate) then it seems my doctor is not yet putting pressure on us to go in for an induction. Yay!

We then went for lunch and met with an insurance sales person who was to explain their system for us to consider for me and our bebe - and I realized the contractions were suddenly coming a lot closer and getting stronger. I started timing them and they were 3-4 min apart. Not yay. I hadn't put our birthing bag in the car yet, and hadn't brought our camera~! After half an hour of timing, I mentioned to Judge that it may be best to finish up and head out - either home to pick up the stuff or to the birthing center maybe as we were still in the neighborhood. Judge: O.O

After getting up though and walking to the car, they spread back out to 6-7 min apart. So we decided to go to the birthing center anyhow but just to do the penecillin skin test (ends up I'm a bit allergic to it - who knew!) and we got to peek in through the window on all the fresh babies in there. Ack - so cute!

And now we're home. Still just braxton hicks going on - but today made me feel like there was progress at least, with them being so close apart as well as me actually feeling them finally. Looks like we may be having a baby soon - and if not *soon* then I'm still assuming within the next two weeks at least ;P


.

1 comment: