I hereby offer Judge an official and public apology, for accusing him of being the cause of Leona's heavy accent when she speaks English.
I had said that I found her English to be very similar to his...but that was a lie. What I had actually felt, was that she had a heavy accent, heavier than Judge's even, but I attributed it to him.
And I had a light bulb moment. It reminded me suspiciously of the half Filipino half Welsh (?) girl who moved here last fall and started kindergarten around the same time as Leona, who is the same age as Leona, who hasn't gone to kindergarten before, and whose parents speak English mostly with her at home.
And seeing as Leona is influenced by her peers much, much, MUCH more than by us, it suddenly occurred to me that she was taking on the accent she heard the girl speak in.
So Judge, sorry I accused you as being the root of this head ache of mine, because I really do want her to be able to speak Norwegian and English and Mandarin as though they are all her native tongues - but I don't know how to influence her so that she doesn't speak with such a heavy accent. I am thinking maybe I should find some good kids' shows that the girls can watch online - like I found in Norwegian. Any suggestions?
.
No comments:
Post a Comment