I love knitting and sewing, and have crochetted before - but like a billion years ago and only simple, simple rounds or something, can't even remember. So I started a hunt for instructions (easy enough to find), and then youtube'd for videos on how to perform the steps in the instructions, as they were totally unfamiliar to me (double crochette, single crochette, slip stitch...everything basically).
Through this I stumbled upon an awesome owl-granny square, and as I absolutely love owls (seems I'm totally unoriginal in this love by the way), I decided to incorporate it into the blanket. This led to more youtube-searching in order to be able to follow those instructions too (half double crochette, triple crochette).
[one of the squares in the blanket]
After the test-run I went and bought some yarn in the colors I wanted, and went at her. After the first square, however, I realized I had not bought the right kind of thickness in the thread, as I was suddenly bumped up to a 7 x 9 squarer~. That's a lot of squares to crochette!
But on I went.
[WIP]
As I am a big fan of efficiency I am uber happy I stumbled upon some great ideas during my searches. For example, I followed this guy's instructions on how to weave the ends in as I went (so I wouldn't have a kazillion ends to sew in after), as well as used his method of completing things in stages (bunches of centers at a time, then coordinate it so I could do a certain color as much as possible, etc):
I also followed this lady's method of continuous connection, so I completed four out of five rounds on each square, and then did the last round in one go for all 63:
And lastly I used this method for the final boarder in order to try to get it smooth (partial success, partial fail, as my squares are not all the same size).
[Leona being a helpful big sister and testing out the finished masterpiece for me]
I have to admit I am quite happy with the final results. Yep yep. Pat on back.
.






No comments:
Post a Comment