Thursday, March 29, 2012

an EC motivator

In Taiwan I used cloth diapers for the most part. Washed them by hand mostly. No, not down by the river.

It wasn't such a big deal because I was ECing Leona and so there'd just be maybe 3-5 slightly wet inserts per day that I would rinse'n'wash. The shell could last a day or even two - though I tended not to let it go past a day. Then, for nights I'd use a disposable (so we wouldn't have to do a full wake-up and diaper change mid-sleep/grog).

I'd like to say the main motivator for the cloth diapers was the environment, but to be honest it was more that disposables cost around NTD 5 each. Of course if we look at the fact I was willing to spend NTD 30-50 a day on a yummy tea-drink, NTD 5 per diaper isn't so bad...her whole daily diaper consumption would equal my one drink or less.

But the mind works in mysterious ways.

Because we were ECing, if the disposable diaper was just a little damp, which most often was the case, it would tug at my frugal heartstrings when I'd check if she needed to go, as there's no way I'd put such a diaper back on her after. Poof, NTD 5 was gone without being used to it's full capacity. Ouch!

For some reason letting her keep a slightly peed-in diaper on until it was heavier seemed ok - assumption being a slightly peed-in diaper wasn't really uncomfortable for her as absorbancy is strong in those things.

There were no such qualms with the cloth diapers though. For one, if it was just a little damp, I wanted to get it off her as fast as possible - the aim was to always have dryness for her. And every time I had to wash an insert my heart would sing a little song "NTD 5 saved - wohooooo!".

Coming to Norway, land of the expensive, I was sure cloth diapers would feel even better for me here. But surprise surprise, if you go for the store-brands (ie. for Coop it's Xtra) you can get a schwacklaod of items on the cheapcheapcheap. Sure, for the "mega" diapers, quality is leagues below the pee-stripe and poop-catcher-band we enjoyed on the disposables in Taiwan, but that fades into oblivion when we get 58 diapers for NOK 20.

No, that is not a type-o, it really does say twenty kroner. Same as a can of coke costs. Giving us 3 diapers on the krone, and thus when comparing purchasing and earning power et al., rather than a 1:3 Taiwan:Norway ratio we're realistically at about 1 diaper Taiwan for the cost of 10 diapers Norway.

And because there's major recycling going on the only stuff that's heading to the landfill from us are the disposables I almost feel no qualms about is. Hrm. Actually I basically try to just not think about that aspect of it all, and rather enjoy being able to use disposables and EC to my heart's content, because if I do think about it qualms start to rise.

Byebye cloth diapers! Reselling them here in Norway doesn't give much back to the bank though, unfortunately. Good thing I got them on a steep sale in Taiwan then, and since they're already a sunk cost then anything I get back is good.

--

Taken two months ago, Jan 21st when we were getting ready to head out on our failed sun-hunt. Long ago, I know, but oh-so cute! (Currently lacking newer pictures...will remedy this soonest.)




.

No comments:

Post a Comment