Thursday, November 10, 2011

beta after the first month

After a month of this, I have found that I have gotten a lot better at remembering to do the exercises. Sure, perhaps sometimes it's after I have just gone to bed, but the great thing is, since it is (currently) just 10 movements / about 5 min, I feel like I can get up and do them no problem.

These past two weeks' "up-the-ante" in movements have gone pretty smooth. In the beginning, the first 'notch up' (clasping our hands behind our back and driving our fists down and elbows in while doing some of the movements) was more tiring than any of the other exercises. It's become smoother though, so that must mean there's progress, right?

And I found that the second 'notch up' from holding an elbow plank to holding a push-up position plank, that the notch made it actually easier for me. But I made sure to really focus on correct form as coached to us, and tightening all the muscles in my body the whole time through as suggested (rather than trying to be lazy about it to get through the time, as really I am doing this just for me so I'd just be 'hurting' myself right?), and it felt good! And these past few days I've been adding some seconds to the hold, while waiting for our next 'notches up'.

In terms of the last stretch movement that goes on our thighs, I don't feel much of a stretch I have found - but I think that is because of the gymnastics I did when I was younger and all the stretching I did up until a few years ago (in various sports, then in dancing). But again I focus on form, and do get some stretching in, so I'm content to just go along with the program and increase slowly so as not to bite off too much and then stall.

After a month of doing it, I'm happy to have been able to be pretty consistent in doing it, and since it is a progressive program, am not stressing over the movements that are perhaps not so challenging yet, or the lack of length, as the aim is start small so it can be long-term and making it a part of life rather than overwhelment. Plus I know it will increase every couple weeks - and we are encouraged to add to it if we wish.

.

No comments:

Post a Comment