Sunday, November 29, 2015

the start of sounding out words and spelling words she doesn't know

Leona still loves to write stuff. Often asking how to write the names of those in kindergarten, making cards, and writing her and Eliana's names on their stuff. When she asked why someone played football a lot, I said it was because he liked to do it, just like she liked to read books and draw. "And write" she said.

And then suddenly the other day Leona began a next step, when she said in Norwegian : "Iiiin thes store...it begins with 'I'" (considering pronunciation of word and name of letter, it would be the equivalent of saying "IIiiice cream" in English), and today "ssssock...it begins with 's'". I think this has to do with how they teach writing in kindergarten, where they just do the sounds and not the names of the letters, while she knows their names, and so I think she has combined these methods.

In any event I find it pretty exciting.
[they have two work stations for scissor cutting, drawing, writing, and gluing, one in a little alcove off the kitchen - shown above - which is essentially their playroom and that has two sets of drawers for clothes. The bed to the right on the picture is going to be moved down above the garage and their white board n' chalk board stand and play kitchen will be moved in...or maybe the trampoline instead of the play kitchen. This space definitely needs some organizing and cleaning up. The other work station is in the living room.]



.

No comments:

Post a Comment