Wednesday, July 15, 2015

choosing Norwegian

A day or two after I wrote about how Leona had started saying a couple half sentences and even a whole one in Norwegian to me, she made the decision to go all out. She now speaks Norwegian to me, my mom, Eliana, and even Judge, and not only that, the past few days she's started doing it sometimes when other people can hear it (something she didn't do to begin with).

The interesting thing is, is that she is trying to speak the local dialect, not my dialect*, and so speaks my dialect but says 'eg' and 'meg' instead of 'jei' and 'mei' and 'ikkje' instead of 'ikke', and then also adds 'g' to a lot of other words (någ, måg, tog 2, treg 3, etc.).

*My dialect is actually a mix, sometimes bokmål and sometimes bokmål with trøndersk.

I think that's what she was doing this whole time, observing others and how they speak, because she wants to speak like they do here, to make sure they understand her (?) to assimilate (?). They have also been watching some locally made kids TV programs online, Klart eg kan, a series of 6 year old kids who accomplish a goal (learn to swim, perform something, learn to ride a cross-bike, etc.), and Marit og dyra (they also watch a series called Villmarksbarna, which I adore. Seriously. I'm in love with the family). I think this both helped her become interested in various things (like learning to swim), as well as got a lot of input for her chosen dialect.

Pretty exciting!
[checking out those little toesies]


.

No comments:

Post a Comment