Tuesday, December 16, 2014

diaper-free days (at almost 18 months)

This time around I've done EC super differently than last, leaving it no-stress. With Leona, I tried to give her diaper-free time often (not bare-bum, just no diaper), especially after she turned 18 months old, to try and get her completely diaper-free during the 'golden window', and though I didn't get frustrated with her choice to pee in her pants, it wasn't a party having to change her several times a day - and I don't think it could have been great fun for her either, looking back. I also think us doing travels and having big life-upheavals played a big role in her going from consistently using the potty to not, two or three times.

Anyhow, this time, initially because we lived in houses where it wasn't convenient to have to clean pee off of carpeted floors and non-leather couches I did the whole EC thing the same, but just 100% diapered.

That means I would take Eliana to the potty whenever she signed she needed to go, as well as take her when I thought she needed to go - and then either she would go, just sit, or clearly show she didn't want anything to do with the bathroom right then and we'd go do something else.

A few months ago Eliana started really resisting wearing a diaper, but I told her that because she still used (i.e., went pee and poop) her diaper sometimes, she still needed to have it on.

Now, Eliana's pretty much had dry diapers after sleeps for a couple months or more already, as well as gone on the potty/toilet most of the time, just 2-4 times in the diaper a day. After taking a shower though, when she'd run naked out to Judge to get her diaper and clothes on, she'd usually happily take the opportunity to pee a tiny bit, gleefully telling us immediately afterward.

But that stopped happening, and last Friday or Saturday I just stopped putting a diaper on her during the day.

We don't leave the house really, and when we have, e.g., visited the kindergarten once, she told me she had to pee - other than that we haven't been gone long enough for the need to arise. That being said, I foresee us still using a diaper if (when) we go out, just because of the layers upon layers upon layers of clothes she needs to wear, and the cold, thus making it inconvenient to christen neighbors' lawns etc.

I am toying with the idea of not having a diaper on for sleeps, but think that for now, as she hasn't requested/demanded to be diaper-free then too, that it is easier...just in case. A wet diaper is much easier to deal with than changing sheets.

The key during this period is to be aware of her regular body-schedule as well as her timing - e.g., if it's been a while since last time, ask her if she needs to go. She's not yet at the stage where she automatically answers 'no' to questions, and so asking, rather than saying 'let's go', works perfectly.

Four days in and not a single accident - knock-on-wood.
[It's finally (?) snowed here, and rather than jumping up and down with excitement, itching to go outside and play, the girls ran and got this bin for me to fill up. I agree - much less cumbersome clothes and it not being cold makes a big difference in the enjoyment ... so not-Norwegian of us.]



.

No comments:

Post a Comment