Friday, October 12, 2012

a perfect example

Not to generalize (ha!) but here is the epitomizational example of a difference I have seen and felt a bit this past year in terms of parenting in Norway and Taiwan:


As we were walking along the lake, we saw this kid - maybe 8 (I have totally no clue) who had climed out on the branch that was reaching over the water. He was hanging, working on climbing back up top to a less precarious position, obviously struggling quite a bit physically but very positive about it, and about 15-20 meters away his parents were calmly sitting on a bench, with an eye on him of course, but mainly just chatting together, not a word of 'careful' or guidance or anything, just letting him do his thing, just trusting him.

I, on the other hand, had tiny tinglings of nervousness for him :P


.

2 comments:

  1. I can hear my parents saying:

    Vatt are yoo doooing? Yoo vill fall and draun.
    Tink abot yoor broder!

    Yes, there is a difference
    :)

    ReplyDelete