You don't fully understand how attached you are to the sun until you experience a winter darkness in the arctic - I mean, most of us of course know we love a nice sunny day, that sunshine makes us happy, but I don't think you really know how much you need the sun until she returns the first time after being gone for two months, and you find yourself running outside with a giddiness you never imagined possible.
The forever-day was a bit different than the forever-night for me and Judge - I totally *loved* that the sun would shine in through our window at 2am, bright as bright can be. Judge on the other hand was going a bit bonkers, as he felt he was never able to relax and wind down - with it being light and sunny* all the time he felt like he should be out doing something.
*Ok, so there hasn't been that much sun this summer, but there really hasn't been that little either, in my opinion...perhaps because when it has shone it's shone 24/7.
But yesterday, I was again thrown for a surprise. It was the first time in four months that I experienced a true dark dusk (it was 11:30pm) - with the sky being just a slight, dim light. And I was once again blown away by how wonderful it felt. It was like some electicity was switched off in me, and it just felt good to look out the window and see just people's windows with lights on, peeking through the darkness, rather than the entire world out there. Whoda thunk?
This little lady will still have to wait a few more weeks until she gets to experience it though, as she hits the pillows between 7 and 8pm.
.

No comments:
Post a Comment